The Signs of Dog Poisoning and How to Help
There’s no doubt dogs try to get into everything and anything, which can make the thought of your dog being poisoned a realer one than you’d like it to be. If you have a curious pup, there are signs and symptoms of dog poisoning you can look out for. Here’s what you need to know!
If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, seek emergency animal care immediately. If you have questions about your pet’s health or see potential signs and symptoms of poisoning in your dog, don’t hesitate to call Cinco Ranch Veterinary Hospital at 281-693-7387.
What Is Poisonous to a Dog?
Quite a few items around the house can be poisonous to a dog, if ingested. The most well-known food item is chocolate, but there are other things you should keep out of reach of your pooch, including:
- Human medications
- Household products and chemicals, such as antifreeze
- Herbal products (like fish oil and others)
- Insecticides and rodenticides
- Various human foods (grapes, avocados, raisins, etc.)
- Plants (tulips, daffodils, azaleas, and others)
- Products for your lawn
This list isn’t exhaustive, so be sure to put anything that isn’t specifically made for her out of reach. If you do give your dog human food on occasion, always double-check that neither it nor any of its ingredients are poisonous. Carefully research chemicals, plants, and other items before using them in your home or yard.
Some animals are also poisonous to dogs, as well as humans and other pets. Keep an eye out for brown recluse spiders, coral snakes, and other venomous animals.
Signs of Poisoning in Dogs
If you suspect your dog got into a chemical, food, medication, or other dangerous substance, there are signs you can look out for. Common symptoms include:
- Loss of appetite
- Irregular heartbeat
- Neurologic symptoms, like seizures
If you notice any of these symptoms, seek veterinary assistance immediately.
A poisoned dog that doesn’t get care will likely develop more serious issues. Antifreeze and Easter lily, for instance, can lead to kidney failure. Certain medications can cause liver damage. Garlic and onion can result in bleeding and bruising. Attacks from venomous animals or consumption of poisonous plants can cause neurological problems, such as seizures and other symptoms. Suspected dog poisoning should never go untreated.
What to Do If Your Dog Is Poisoned
If you notice any of the above signs of poisoning in your dog, or you saw her eat a poisonous item, you can call Animal Poison Control for assistance at 888-426-4435, but it’s important to get her to a veterinarian immediately. Never give her medication at home or attempt to induce vomiting without being instructed to do so. In some cases, if your pet’s fur or skin came into contact with the poison, you will be able to bathe her to remove the toxin. Ask your veterinarian for advice.
Try to gather the poisonous substance and a sample of vomit, if your dog threw up, to show the vet. This can help them diagnose and treat your pet. Be careful handling other items that are poisonous to dogs, as they might be dangerous for you as well. If your dog was attacked by a venomous animal, only bring the animal in if it is already dead, and handle it with gloves and care to prevent the transmission of illness. This can help the emergency vet identify the exact species and determine treatment. Never try to catch a venomous animal.
There are several steps you can take to prevent your dog from being poisoned or reduce the risk. And you can always be ready if an accident happens! Take these steps to protect your dog’s health:
- Lock up all chemicals.
- Keep medication in child-proof containers out of reach.
- Err on the side of caution, and do not feed your dog human food.
- If you do feed your dog human food, double-check that it is not dangerous for them.
- Keep hydrogen peroxide at home just in case your veterinarian advises you to induce vomiting. Never attempt this without your veterinarian saying it’s okay.
- Research all plants before bringing them into your home or planting them in your yard.
- Refrain from using insecticides and similar products in your home.
- Keep dog shampoo and dish soap on hand in case of skin or fur contact.
- Keep your dog’s medical records, microchip information, and ID in the same place to grab in case of an emergency.
- Clean up immediately after cooking, including any possible dropped food.
- Add your veterinarian, local emergency vet, and Animal Poison Control to your phone’s contacts.
- Lock up the garbage.
- Always follow the directions on medications for fleas and ticks, and others, to ensure proper use.
Prevention is key to your dog’s safety! But if an accident does happen, know the signs of dog poisoning, and take the necessary steps to help your pet. If you see your dog eat a poisonous item, don’t wait: Go to the vet. Try to remain calm, so you can help your pup as best as possible.
If you believe your dog has been poisoned or suspect she got into something dangerous, call us at 281-693-7387, or visit us at 2519 Cinco Park Place in Katy, Texas.
The Team @ Cinco Ranch Veterinary Hospital
Latest posts by The Team @ Cinco Ranch Veterinary Hospital (see all)
- How to Keep Your Cat’s Ears Clean and Why You Should - February 8, 2019
- 3 Ideas for the Best Valentine’s Day…with Your Dog as Your Date - February 5, 2019
- My Cat Won’t Stop Licking! Why He Does It and How to Help - January 30, 2019